- Feedback Form
You can view a Day's Inspection Schedule Online (click)
Inspection Services provides building inspection services for all privately funded development and support to the City’s Code Enforcement program.
Building Inspection Procedures
Once construction plans and documents have been approved and the proper permits have been issued, work may begin. At specific stages of construction, the permit applicant or the contractor must call for building inspection. Approval for that phase must be obtained prior to construction of the next phase of the project. The following are examples of required inspections:
- A foundation inspection after excavations for footings or piers and grade beam are complete and any required reinforcing steel is in place. For concrete foundations, forms shall be in place along with any required bolts, anchors or straps.
- An under-slab inspection after all piping, equipment, conduit, etc. is installed, but before any concrete is placed. An additional slab inspection will be required for any reinforcing steel, base fill material, required bolts, anchors or straps.
- For a raised wood floor system, an under-floor inspection of framing, piping, ducts, conduit, equipment, etc. is required. An additional inspection of required thermal insulation is required before installing subfloor sheathing. A floor diaphragm nailing inspection may be required before building walls.
- A roof sheathing and shear wall sheathing inspection prior to concealment.
- A close-in inspection after all framing, fire blocking, and bracing are in place, including weather barrier on roof and walls and all plumbing, electrical, and mechanical installations are roughed in and ready for inspection and testing.
- A wall, ceiling, or roof/ceiling thermal insulation inspection including sealing of gaps and holes. See the California Energy Commission.
- A lath and/or gypsum board inspection after all lathing and gypsum board are in place, but before any plaster is applied and before gypsum board joints and fasteners are taped and finished.
- A final inspection after all the permitted work has been completed.
If you are not sure of the inspection requirements for your project, contact your inspector. This inspection card must be posted at the job site until the project is completed and has passed the final inspection.
In addition to inspection by City staff, inspections by other professionals may be required. These additional inspections are noted on approved plans. For example, new structures require an inspection by a soils engineer prior to pouring the foundation. Also, ongoing field observation by the structural engineer on the project may be required for residential construction and is required for all nonresidential construction.
You can schedule an inspection online via by phone or by fax.
An inspection request can be made anytime day or night by phoning the Inspection Request Line 707.778.4479. To schedule an inspection for the following business day you must call the inspection request line before 4:00 PM. For a Monday inspection, you must call bey 4:00 P.M on the previous Thursday.
If you are calling in a final inspection for a residential structure that requires a Certificate of Occupancy you must notify the Fire Marshall’s office separately at 707.778.4389 for a fire inspection.
You must leave the following information on the recording that will enable us to process your request:
- Project address (including subdivision and lot number if applicable)
- Permit number
- Your name and company
- Your daytime phone number so we can reach you if needed
- Type of inspection requested, i.e., foundation, close-in, etc.
- Date inspection requested
Note: Inspections will be scheduled on the day requested between 9:00 AM and noon and 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM. Specific times cannot be given.
To schedule an inspection by fax download the document located below, fill it out completely and fax it to 707.778.4498.
To cancel an inspection and avoid a possible reinspection fee, please call us at 707.778.4301.
Contact Information11 English St.
Petaluma, CA 94952
Hours: 8am - 12 pm and 1pm - 5pm
Mondays through Thursdays, Closed Fridays
- Contractors State License Board
- Housing & Community Development
- Petaluma School District
- Bay Area Quality Management
- Sonoma County Health Services
- Sonoma County Assessor
- Sonoma County PRMD
- California Building Officials
- International Code Council
- Underground Service Alert
- U.S. EPA Mold Guide