More About IT in the City of Petaluma
Next Free EWaste Event information
The values of our Division drive our goals and priorities and directly affect how implementation occurs. The Council identified the their goals, ours are derived from Council goals:
- Sustainability (having a long term orientation about everything we do); make sure projects and systems have long term value. Make sure our systems stay current and useful.
- Integrity - In IT, we must value integrity, above everything else.
- Fairness - we must be fair to our customers, City staff, and make sure our decisions and implementations have a positive effect on the largest number of staff.
- Accountability to our customers, management, the Public and our vendors.
- Respect - we must retain professionalism, give respect and earn and keep respect from others.
- Dedication to our job, our profession. Maintain currency in our skills and business practices.
- Creativity and innovation - required elements in delivering technical and business solutions to problems. "Think outside the box."
- Teamwork - we view the "total as more than the sum of the parts." Nowhere is this more true than in IT.
Of Note -
- Read our success story, written by ATT and Cisco, about our network infrastructure and VoIP.
- Presentation to the California Society of Finance Officers (CSMFO), San Francisco, Feb. 19, 2009 - "What a Finance Director Needs to Know about IT"
- Presentation to the Technology Advisory Committee, Sept. 24, 2008 (see also full video of the meeting).
- Draft Technology Strategic Plan 2015-2019
- Energy Star certificate awarded summer 2008 for our energy saving practices with power management.
Municipal Information Systems Association of California (MISAC)
- Quality in IT Practices Award - 2015
- Achievement in Information Technology - 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2009-2010
- Excellence in Information Technology - 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009.
- Center for Digital Government, Demonstrated Leadership in Information Technology. - Best of California 2006
It is our vision to develop and maintain a 21st Century Information Technology function, with capabilities and strategies that rival any found in the public or private sectors by:
- Staying in touch with and exceeding our users' needs, capabilities and expectations.
- Maintain contact with the technology needs of the public in Petaluma and California; be able to shape our programs and projects to fit those needs.
- Developing and maintaining purchasing and maintenance systems that expeditiously result in proper, economical, low-risk systems.
- Developing and implementing policies consistent with Citywide mission and goals.
- Striving for simplicity while bracing for the inevitable complexity introduced by the diverse technical, economic, political, and cultural needs of our users.
- Stay in the leadership position relative to technology; be a technical, business, ethics leader among City functions, be a leader among our colleagues (other IT operations).