- Web Site Policies
Purpose of City of Petaluma Website
The purpose of the City of Petaluma website is to provide information about City services, laws, policies, and initiatives. City of Petaluma web site is not intended to provide a forum for debate or public exchange of information, but rather is maintained for the exclusive use of the City of Petaluma to communicate with the public.
A primary function of City of Petaluma web site is to provide information about City government and City services to the public. A secondary function is to make available to the public information provided by outside entities by providing information as to how those entities can be contacted or, in some cases, providing Links to their websites. This policy guides the creation of such Links.
“City of Petaluma web site” means the City of Petaluma Website, and includes all documents, databases, log files, web pages, and other information residing on any City web server. This includes - but is not limited to - all information housed on a City of Petaluma web server using html, php, asp, word, pdf, wmv, mov, and / or database storage formats.
“Link” means the creation of implied or explicit hyperlinks or connections from images, notices, and other communications on the City of Petaluma web site to other websites or locations on the world wide web, including:
- Hyperlinks activated by clicking on an image or text, leading to a web page that does not reside on a City of Petaluma web server (explicit);
- Mention of a URL address providing users with the address of a web page that does not reside on a City of Petaluma web server, or (implied);
- Any other explicit or implied facilitation of movement from City of Petaluma web site to another web page that does not reside on a City of Petaluma web server.
Links from City of Petaluma web site to other sites on the Internet do not constitute an endorsement, and the City is not responsible for the content, quality, or accuracy of any materials referenced or linked through the City of Petaluma’s Website. By using City of Petaluma web site, the user acknowledges and accepts that the City of Petaluma is not responsible for any materials stored on other Internet sites, nor it is liable for any inaccurate, defamatory, offensive, or illegal materials found on other Internet sites, and that the risk of injury from viewing, hearing, downloading, or storing such materials rests entirely with the user. The City of Petaluma does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations, and disclaims any and all liability for their contents.
General Links Policy
Approval. No Link from City of Petaluma web site, including from a Single Topic Web Page, may be created without prior approval of the department director (or the City of Petaluma web site development representative, serving as an agent of the department director) based on a determination that the proposed Link page meets the criteria of this Policy. Such approval may in any written form, including an e-mail correspondence.
Accessibility. The IT Manager may not approve any Link unless it follows all universal accessibility and design guidelines set forth in the "Website Accessibility Guidelines" of the City of Petaluma Web Policy, employs correct and functional HTML coding, and has an attractive and professional design format.
General Criteria. Links to outside entities must provide a benefit to the City and persons using City of Petaluma web site by:
- Providing public notice of a specific event which is open to the public and has received City sponsorship in the form of a City Council resolution; or
- Advancing goals established by the City Council.
Links to Vendors. To avoid the perception that the City endorses or provides favorable treatment to any private person or business enterprise, the City does not allow corporate or commercial logos or direct Links to vendor sites.
Requests for Links. The City does not accept requests for placement of Links on City of Petaluma web site. Any City employee who receives a request to place a Link on City of Petaluma web site shall state that requests are not accepted and refer the requestor to the City’s IT Manager. The IT Manager may obtain or accept relevant information from the requestor about the good or service it provides, and may then determine whether a Link to that requestor would comply with this policy and if so, whether or not to create such Link.
Links Potentially Permissible throughout City of Petaluma web site. The following types of Links may be permitted throughout City of Petaluma web site, subject to approval by the IT Manager, if they comply with the general policy set forth above.
- Links to other governmental agencies;
- Links to organizations that have received formal sponsorship from the City of Petaluma in the form of a City Council resolution, or with which the City has entered into a joint initiative to achieve a City objective. Such joint initiatives may include projects of specific intereest to the City objectives.
Single Topic Web Page Link Policy
The City may choose to create single Web pages on City of Petaluma web site that are limited to a specific topic defined by the City but that connect website visitors to resources outside the City. Such Single Topic Web pages must conform with the general links policy above, be directly relevant to and consistent with the stated purpose of the web page and meet all of the following criteria:
1. Each Single Topic Web page: Shall be identified as such, and its nature and governing policies shall be clearly stated on the top of the page; Shall be limited to a single Web page; Shall be limited to a single identified topic a clearly identified category of Links.
2. A Single Topic Web page may only be established pursuant to written approval by the IT Manager (acting as an agent of the City Manager), based on a determination that the proposed Single Topic Web page meets the criteria of this Policy. The IT Manager shall maintain a written record of all such approvals, and any Single Topic Web page that has not been approved by the IT Manager shall be immediately removed.
3. Single Topic Web pages may be established only if they advance initiatives that are being actively and explicitly undertaken by the City for a public purpose or provide access to news or information about the City of Petaluma, its businesses, tourist attractions, and similar tourism information.
4. The following Single Topic Web pages are authorized under this policy:
- Public and private educational institutions and museums.
- Hospitals and medical clinics.
- Local and regional economic development organizations that assist the City in promoting and supporting local businesses and job growth.
- Entities and organizations whose primary purpose is to provide information about Petaluma hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, and similar of tourism information. Directional information of interest to the public, such as maps, directories of goods and services in Petaluma.
- Legally authorized radio and television stations that provide service in Petaluma.
- Print publications that provide news and information about Petaluma and are delivered or sold in Petaluma, and that are published at least once per week.
11 English Street (Map It)
Petaluma, CA 94952
Monday - Thursday
City of Petaluma Event Hotline: 781-1283
Visit Petaluma's new business-attraction site
Petaluma Area Chamber of Commerce
Petaluma Visitors' Center
Petaluma Downtown Association