Wireless Internet Access
WiFi Service - Procedure and Conditions for Use
Welcome to Wireless Internet in the Petaluma Community Center
- Wireless is available for use when renting the Petaluma Community Center or when an individual wants to use the system while waiting in the Lobby Area.
- Computers may be used in the Lobby Wireless Area during working hours from 8am-5pm or within a rented room.
I agree to abide by all conditions of this policy: and I also agree to pay the City of Petaluma all costs the City may incur as a result of any failure to fully comply with all of these conditions.
WiFi Service - Insructions for Use
The City of Petaluma operates a wireless hotspot, “CityGuest” in the Petaluma Community Center, 320 NMcDowell Blvd. It covers over 90% of the floor space in the building, including the lobby, the large assembly room and meeting rooms A/B/C/D, conference rooms 2 and 3, club room, the activity room and both the crafts rooms.
This service comes with “As-is”, no support except the instructions listed below.
- User is responsible for the computer and wifi network card, its use, its configuration. The City of Petaluma offers no support for using the technology or using computers to non-City staff.
- User is responsible for the Wifi Disclaimer (see below) terms.
- Computer wifi network settings must be for automatic address assignment (DHCP).
- Computer(s) should be booted with the Wifi running and the access points in range (within the building).
- If prompted, select CityGuest, or set the SSID to “CityGuest”.
- Your computer will obtain a network address from the hotspot server.
- Once you launch the web browser, your computer will display a web page ("splash" page).
- Use the City's web page window from which to navigate to any other internet site desired.
- No network printing is available.
The City's Senior Center, 211 Novak Drive, operates free wireless access to its customers.
The Petaluma branch of the Sonoma County Library offers free wireless internet access to persons with Sonoma County Library cards.
Wireless access is available via various commercial entities, such as The Petaluma Yacht Club, various Starbucks, Deaf Dog Coffee, Burger Kings, McDonalds (this list is not by any means complete). Hotels with wireless service for their customers include: Petluma Marina Sheraton, Best Western, and Quality Inn.
Security Warning And Disclaimer
WARNING: This service is an open network provided for your convenience, and you use it at your own risk. It is available to the general public, and is NOT INHERENTLY SECURE. The providers cannot and do not guarantee the privacy of your data and communication while using the service.
There are potentially serious security issues with any computer connected to the Internet without the appropriate protection, ranging from viruses, worms and other programs that can damage the user's computer, to attacks on the computer by unauthorized or unwanted third parties. By using the service, you acknowledge and knowingly accept the potentially serious risks of accessing the Internet over an unsecured network. It is recommended that users take steps to protect their own computer system, such as installing current anti-virus software and maintaining appropriate firewall protection. For further information on how to protect yourself on this open network, consult a security professional.
By using this service, you acknowledge and agree that YOUR USE OF THIS SERVICE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. By using the Service, you also agree to all terms set forth in the following Disclaimer.
- Service provided “AS IS”. This Service provides access to the Internet on an “as is” basis with all risks inherent in such access. The providers of the Service make no warranty that the Service or that any information, software, or other material accessible on the Service is free of viruses, worms, trojan horses or other harmful components. By connecting, the user acknowledges and accepts the risks associated with public access to the Internet and public use of an unsecured wireless network.
- Service provided “AS AVAILABLE”. The Service is provided on an “as available” basis without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, that the Service will be uninterrupted or error-free, including but not limited to vagaries of weather, disruption of service, acts of God, warranties of title, noninfringement, NOR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. No advice or information given by the providers, affiliates, or contractors of the service or their respective employees shall create such a warranty.
- Disclaimer Regarding Third Party Content. The Service offers access to numerous third party web pages, services and content available over the Internet. In overwhelming majority of instances, including, but not limited, to sites displayed within a directory of links, the City of Petaluma has no control whatsoever over the content of such sites. In other instances, including, but not limited to, web pages hosted on the Service or provided to the Service site by third parties, the City Petaluma may set guidelines for what may appear on such web pages and may engage in certain screening, but generally exercises no control over the content of such web ages and is unable to police all such content. Third party content accessible through the Service from such sources is developed by people over whom the Service exercises no control. Accordingly, the Service assumes no responsibility for the content of any site linked to the Service web site or in any content hosted for a third party within the Service.
- Indemnity. Under no circumstances shall the providers of the Service, or affiliates, agents, or contractors thereof, be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive or consequential damages that result in any way from user's use of or inability to use the Service or to access the Internet or any part thereof, or user's reliance on or use of information, services or merchandise provided on or through the Service, or that result from mistakes, omissions, interruptions, deletion of files, errors, defects, delays in operation, or transmission, or any failure of performance. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the providers of the Service, including affiliates, agents, and contractors thereof, from any claim, liability, loss, damage, cost, or expense (including without limitation reasonable attorney's fees) arising out of or related to your use of the Service, any materials downloaded or uploaded through the Service, any actions taken by you in connection with your use of the Service, any violation of any third party's rights or an violation of law or regulation, or any breach of this agreement.
11 English Street (Map It)
Petaluma, CA 94952
Monday - Thursday
City of Petaluma Event Hotline: 781-1283
Visit Petaluma's new business-attraction site
Petaluma Area Chamber of Commerce
Petaluma Visitors' Center
Petaluma Downtown Association